Approved and effective: 12/31/2020
Last reviewed and revised: 5/25/2021
Policy Brief & Purpose
This policy addresses user content which may be construed as hate speech. It is in place to protect the principles of good will, safety, and trust promoted by TPN.health and the professions it serves.
This policy pertains to all TPN.health users, including those with individual and organizational level profiles. All forms of communication hosted by or associated with TPN.health is subject to this policy.
- TPN understands the need for free speech as a constitutionally protected right in the United States. In cases where controversial topics may arise on the TPN.health platform or any of its communication channels, TPN.health will respect the opportunity for individuals to broaden their awareness and understanding of such topics so that they may grow professionally.
- However, TPN.health will stand by the definition of hate speech as put forth by the United Nations Secretary-General in May 2019: "...hate speech is understood as any kind of communication in speech, writing or behaviour, that attacks or uses pejorative or discriminatory language with reference to a person or a group on the basis of who they are, in other words, based on their religion, ethnicity, nationality, race, colour, descent, gender or other identity factor."
- Any content deemed hate speech will not be tolerated by TPN.health, on its platform, or on any of its communication channels or media.
- TPN staff may intervene whenever controversial topics or discussions arise in attempt to acknowledge the topics as controversial, identify the manner in which the principles of beneficence and nonmaleficence may be threatened, and support a learning experience for all involved parties so that a resolution may be arrived upon.
- In the event that a form of hate speech appears, it will be removed immediately by TPN.health staff. Any TPN.health user involved may have their account revoked without appeal.